Lifetime Achievement Award
The recipient of this award has repeatedly gone beyond the standard obligations in his or her industry and contributed significantly to the local business community during their working lifetime.
- Nominees have been in the business community for 25 years or longer.
- How have they gone above and beyond in their professional position?
- What contributions have they made to the business community?
- Have they had a significant presence in their community outside of their business? How?
Young Professional of the Year
This award recognizes a young entrepreneur, business owner or executive of a local company/organization who exemplifies business excellence, community spirit, innovation, personal integrity and has made an impressive impact of their industry. The Young Professional of the Year serves as an ideal model for other aspiring young professionals and entrepreneurs.
- The nominee must be an entrepreneur, business owner or executive of a company/organization that is at least 3 years old.
- They are 35 years old or younger (as of nomination deadline) and are responsible for/play a large role in their company’s good standing, its vision and its continued growth.
- How have they exemplified business excellence and pushed for innovation in the company/organization?
- What have they done to create a strategic direction and improve their industry impact at such an early stage in their career?
- What character traits or examples show their personal integrity and influence? How are they a role model for other young professionals or aspiring business owners and entrepreneurs?
Business Executive of the Year
This award honors the executive who has made the greatest positive impact on their organization through innovation, integrity, growth, and pushing their company to excellence in every aspect of business.
- The nominee must be an executive in a private or public company.
- What position do they hold?
- What impact have they had on their organization and the business community?
- How have they pushed their company to excellence and innovation?
- In what aspects of the business have they been responsible for achieving growth?
Commitment to Green
This award honors an individual or business that has shown a commitment to sustainable, green living in one of the following areas: promoting education and training; advocating green lawmaking and policies at the legislative level; engaging in green practices within their own organization; creating, sustaining or promoting programs in response to environmental issues; developing, implementing or sponsoring green events to get their community involved.
- Is the nominee an individual or a business? (Both are eligible.)
- How have they shown a commitment to sustainability, green living or environmentally-friendly business practices?
- What education/training, policies or programs have they spearheaded in their business sphere?
- How have they involved their community in these green endeavors and/or advocated green lawmaking and policies?
Corporate Social Responsibility
Businesses nominated for this award demonstrate deliberate inclusion of public interest into corporate decision-making practices. They embrace responsibility for the impact of their activities on the environment, consumers, employees, and the community by proactively encouraging growth and development, and voluntarily eliminating practices that harm the public sphere.
- Does the nominated business demonstrate a deliberate inclusion of public interest into their corporate business practices?
- How have they embraced responsibility for the impact of their activities on the environment, consumers, employees, and the community?
- What programs or policies have they put into place as a part of their efforts? What practices have they voluntarily eliminated?
Best New Business
New businesses emerge in Hawaii regularly. Nominees in this category have set themselves apart not only with their product or service, but have also become front runners in their field through innovation, marketing, good business practices and a commitment to the community. This award recognizes companies that have been in business for no more than 3 years (as of the nomination deadline).
- The nominated business has been operating for 3 years or less.
- How have they set themselves apart with their product or service? What makes them different?
- How have they become frontrunners in terms of innovation, marketing and good business practices?
- Do they have an active commitment to their community? How do they demonstrate that?
Best Family-Run Business
This award recognizes an outstanding company that has successfully merged family and business interests. They incorporate active collaboration across generations thus remaining true to their background and heritage. This company is committed to reinforcing core family values into a successful business model.
- The nominated business is owned or operated by at least two family members with ownership or management of at least 50% of the business and have been in business for at least three years.
- Do they promote collaboration between generations–utilizing the strengths of each–and remain true to their family background, values and heritage? Please explain.
- Does their business model reinforce core family values? In what ways?
- What plans do they have in place to pass the skills and business to the next generation?
Best Social Media Campaign
Social media has changed marketing in business and has become an integral part of a company’s communications strategy. Nominees in this category have utilized these tools successfully and tracked the impact of social media marketing on the growth of their business.
- What social media marketing tools does the nominated business utilize?
- What other strategies do they actively work into their marketing plan? What percentage is social media vs. traditional marketing or networking?
- Did they use social media on a particular segment of their business (i.e., to promote an event) or for their business in general?
- How did they develop this strategy and in what ways is it unique? Please describe. What were the results and how did they measure them?
Sales & Marketing Executive of the Year
In collaboration with Sales & Marketing Executives of Honolulu, the local chapter of Sales & Marketing Executives International (SMEI), this award recognizes a sales and marketing executive whose agility, exceptional performance and effective leadership have demonstrated notable achievement toward company objectives.
- The nominee is an executive in a private or public company.
- How has the nominee contributed to sales growth and improved the company’s market share over the past year?
- Are there any special programs or projects in which the nominee displayed exceptional performance?
- How has the nominee adapted to the changing sales and marketing environment?
- How has the nominee been a recognized leader among peers or in the community?